Thursday, January 27, 2011

Who I am Today

Sitting in my kitchen, drinking coffee, I am utterly calm. I really can't remember the last time I was relaxed. Not my body, my mind. I am not carefree, nor am I energized or confident. My mind is blank. I love it. 

I wonder how many runners encounter moose? Today, I'm considering some of the reasons that I run. It's so ingrained into my behavior that I rarely even think about it. When I'm happy, I go for a run. When I'm sad, I run to feel better. When I'm peeved, I run because there is nowhere else for that energy to be funneled into. Going to the gym is nice, cross training is nice, weights are challenging...but to me, there's just nothing like a good long run; especially on a brilliantly sunny day, when the fresh snow is sparkling and coating the ice well enough to make the sidewalks passable. These are days when I can lose myself.


1. I ran 12 miles today.
2. I passed two dogs, a mini-dachshund-rat-thing, and a moose. Twice on the moose.
3. I have a blister the size of Manhattan, and will be taping my feet for at least a week.
4. I don't usually plan my runs; they just occur when I need to balance the emotional buildup of my day. There's a feeling in my gut that pushes me out the door. Sometimes, I run just so that I don't have enough breath to cry.
5. Right now, I feel safe.
6. I haven't eaten any animal products in a week. I feel fantastic.

7. Today, I set the time I want to beat in a half marathon.
8. I'm have smoky navy bean and sweet potato soup simmering in the crock pot.
9. Cooper and I are eleven months today..how appropriate that I also got my first letter from him in my mail box this morning. If I miss him any more I'll end up running an impromptu marathon before he gets home.
10. There is no ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment