Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mediocre Musings

A couple of things about today: this is the first week of the month of November, the month of Thanksgiving. It is a long honored tradition to remember at least one thing that you are thankful for, every single day. For most of us, if we can think of one thing, we can think of ten. There are the bigger blessings, like family, friends and freedom; and there are smaller blessings, like being able to afford comfortable clothing, and more than a meager amount of food. There are even blessings that we may never see, though we possess them: a hand of protection over our lives when we were not aware that we were even in danger; an act of kindness performed in secret by others with ourselves in mind. Some blessings we are unaware of, and some we deny exist. Regardless of what I see as good and bad in my life, regardless of what I think is beneficial, regardless of the constant lust for ‘more’, here are a few things for which I am thankful, today.
1.)    I am thankful that at least twice a year, I can blame my confusion at life on Daylight savings time.
2.)    I am thankful for day planners. Albeit you have to check them once in a while for them to do you any good, they are handy none the less.
3.)    I am thankful for clocks. Even when every one of them says something different, and I have to Google what time it is.
4.)    I am thankful for Google. Next to my mother, it is my greatest resource of common-sensical information.
5.)    I am thankful for my mother; she taught me both to cook and drive. I hope that one day I am as brave as her.
6.)    I am thankful for moose: in my freezer as opposed to my windshield.
7.)    I am thankful for stuff that goes with everything; crocs, pumpkin, ranch dressing etc.
8.)    I am thankful for the things in life that fix stuff; hugs, band aids, long runs, chocolate etc.
9.)    I am thankful for kitchens without smoke alarms. It is incomparably inconvenient to stop what you’re doing and wave a magazine around at the ceiling. Though, if I had a smoke alarm, I probably wouldn’t keep forgetting my toast..
10.) I am thankful for rainy days. If they didn’t force me to take a day off every once in a while I probably wouldn’t have any knees left.


No comments:

Post a Comment