Thursday, January 20, 2011

An apple a day may kill you

No, this is not another note on the nutritional benefits pertaining to whatever food I am currently obsessed with. This is one of those notes where I rant about the item I am currently perturbed with. So if you don't want to know, go back to what you were doing; UNLESS you are reading this blog on an Iphone. The notorious item of the day would be Apple. Not the literal, full of fiber and vitamin C fruit that grows in warmer climates and (pre-pesticides) is actually rather good for you; I mean the Apple that invented, among many things, the Iphone.

Today it snowed, quite a bit; not uncommon considering I live a fair distance from the equator. On my way home from the gym I had taken into consideration the present weather conditions, and committed to driving accordingly. Good thing too, because along came two moose, hop-trot-skipping across the trail known as the freaking highway of death to all creatures of nature. I noticed them. I also noticed the oncoming blue F-350 that did not notice the moose. I layid on my horn and flashed my lights, trying to get their attention. The driver, a man, looks up just in time, misses the moose by swerving towards me, misses me by over-correcting into a graciously unoccupied lane, and then is gone. I continue on.

Two seconds later it hit me: he had to look up. Facebook probably already knows this guy almost hit a moose.

There are an uncomfortably frequent number of times where I am stopped at an intersection and glance over into another car idling beside me, and see the driver on their phone. Usually an Iphone. The light turns green, and nine times out of ten the driver releases their foot from the brake before putting down their phone. And I'm like, seriously? I would love for you to run into me. I'd sue you for enough money that you would be reduced to snail mail for communication. I bet you wouldn't be writing a letter while waiting for a left turn.

Review a drivers ed course, especially the part where they talk about the wind shield and its useful function of being looked through. There should be a mandatory phone holder installed in all cars. Like a breathalyzer, you wouldn't be able to start your vehicle unless your phone was safely put away. Or perhaps phones should sense when they are moving at more than 15 mph, and lock themselves until the driver can somehow verify that they are buckled in and paying attention. There has to be an app for that.

So do everyone a favor, you apple-every-second-of-the-day-people. Please put your phones down when behind the wheel. I don't want to choke on your apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment