Thursday, January 20, 2011

Variety and Cinnamon: The Spice of my Life

Oddly enough, I was informed a few days ago by my personal trainer that I "run too much". As in..I don't do anything besides running, which is pretty close to true, unless you consider my coffee drinking to be in its own category of athletics. I don't think they have insurance policies specifically for the knees of an otherwise healthy person.
So today, to add some semblance of variety, I ran 3 miles at a 3% incline in 22:00, did another mile on the stair master, (I refuse to use an elliptical machine until 1, my knees actually go out; 2, I miraculously gain some supernatural form of patience; or 3, I have a grandchild). And I finished up with free weights and lots of abs and arms. Running 30m/week really doesn't give a person much in the way of biceps, odd.
I still don't think there is really such a thing as running "too much", but I realized that there may be such a thing as running unbalanced. After focusing on one muscle group for so long, the variety of the last few workouts felt amazing. Being sore for the first time in months felt like progress.
Oh, and educational tidbit of the day. Cinnamon is good for you. Like really really really good for you.
Top 10 reasons to add cinnamon to your oatmeal, pancakes, cereal, baked cooks, stews, and even chili:
1) Lower you LDL cholesterol. That means less heart attacks. That's good. Put it in oatmeal for double the benefit and you have a valid excuse to eat oatmeal for one less meal a week.
2) Cinnamon regulates blood sugar, making it especially beneficial for people with Type 2 diabetes. That does not mean that it cancels out the 10 bazillion ounces of sugar in a cinnamon roll, sorry.
3) Cinnamon has been shown to reduce the proliferation of lymphoma and leukemia cancer cells. Less proliferation, less cancer, savvy? Imagine what it can do in terms of prevention for the cancer-free.
4) Cinnamon has an anti clotting effect on the blood. So not recommended in you have lost a limb and are rapidly bleeding out, but if you have a history of strokes in your family, sprinkle some cinnamon on your apple slices. Apples are good for you too. =)
5) Cinnamon and honey are a power couple. The benefits of these two combined would take up far too much room in my essay, so here's the most important one for people like me that are acutely aware of where their joints are: cinnamon and honey significantly relieves arthritis pain. Chai tea with cinnamon/honey? Yes please.
6) The smell of cinnamon has been shown to significantly sharpen cognitive memory function. I wouldn't recommend snorting cinnamon before a test, but baking cinnamon twists with your kids could creative better quality memories than a photo album. (No wonder pastry class was a breeze ;)
7) Cinnamon reduces both the duration and intensity of the common cold. For someone who would rather blow her nose ten thousand times than drink Theraflu, this is very handy news.
8) Cinnamon is a natural metabolism booster. Nuff said.
9) Cinnamon is believed to be a natural remedy of kidney stones. I've heard those hurt.
10) And my personal favorite...We have established that cinnamon is pretty not bad for you..we have also established that cinnamon and honey is amazing together. Add some pumpkin full of beta and alpha carotenes, vitamins A and E, fiber, potassium and magnesium and you have a darn good reason to eat pumpkin pie all year round!

No comments:

Post a Comment