Friday, August 20, 2010

Idle Hands Catch Frogs.

Today was a good day. I didn't have to work, which meant I didn't have to get up particularly early. I did though, because I'm crazy. At least, that's what I decided around mile six and a half. It's a good rule of thumb when running to reserve just enough energy to take a shower afterwards. Today I really pushed that boundary, and let me tell you, it is a pathetic feeling to run out of breath while shampooing your hair.


One chick flick/recovery nap and a handful of trailmix later, I was ready to enjoy my day offCanoeing sounded like a pretty fabulous idea since the sun had finally decided to poke out. After the preceding few weeks of monsoon weather, I was sure there were an abundance of lakes to choose from, though we decided to visit an already established one, since it happened to come equipped with a canoe.
Lisa/mom, and Abby/8 year old goblin-mad scientist-wannabe dictator-ballerina-frog hunter, and I/Brenna, loaded up our oars and flotation devices and headed out for Long Lake. Putting a 3rd grader in a semi-unstable boat is a recipe for an impromtu bath, but thankfully the only disaster we encountered was a renegade spider in the boat. For being a cool headed frog hunter, worthy of her own show on the Nature Channel, you would think that Abby would have a better tolerance for arachnids. But no. I personally would rather squish a bug than hold a slimy reptile. At least spiders don't poop on you.

Threatening to maroon Abby for being too wiggley turned out to backfire, since being stuck on an island and living off the land (aka: eating 10 million blueberries) and digging for treasure didn't sound too bad. I can remember having similar thoughts a few years ago, but only when the sun was shining and there was no sign of man-eating mammals (bears, leeches etc) and my mom was sitting right next to me.

When we returned to the main land, I decided that the next order of the day was definitely to give my car a good wash. Note to self: wanting to stay dry, and handing an 8 year old a hose is an oxymoron. Actually, it's more like just being a moron. Because they won't do it "on purpose", and they will be "sorry" that the spray went over the truck onto your side, and that there were just trying to "help" by spraying on full blast the door you were scrubbing (while standing back themselves). What can you do? Besides grab a towel.
Or don a wet suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment