Sunday, September 6, 2009

Catching up with Ryan

Running into an old friend you haven't seen in almost 10 years is a lot like de ja vu. The last time I saw Ryan Hester I had a nine year old's perspective on life, and he had cooties. We get along a little more civily now. I no longer resent that he is both older and taller than me.

Anyways, for the first two weeks I was at AVTEC I had no idea that anyone here knew me, but apparently I still somewhat resemble the dorky little tomboy that I was in the fourth grade because Ryan -who I knew back in the day when I lived in Naknek- recognized me in the cafeteria and said "Brenna??", in a tone that made me comprehend that I was supposed to know who was talking to me. A very long, blank look later I did.

Ryan and I went out for coffee today to catch up the last 10 years or so. In some ways I didn't want to remember Naknek/King Salmon as any different than how I had left it, but of course I was far too curious to let my fuzzy memories be. All in all it was a lovely conversation, a beautiful afternoon and a superb latte. I also saw an old lady on a skateboard and a sign that made me laugh.

2 comments:

  1. Well hello! Seems this Ryan fellow has an awesome memory. At least better than yours. Good to hear from you. I'll be looking forward to reading these. You saw an old lady on a skateboard? Did she fall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a hoot to have two people from your NakNek era both going to AVTech. Is the one still stocky and annoying? Chances are he also has done some growing up in the last 10 yrs

    ReplyDelete